Waku Waku +NYC
August 29, 2015
Waku Waku +NYCis a big Japanese pop culture exhibition produced by Azix, Inc. We were offered a 30-min. kimono related show in the last minutes and we made it in a week! The models and staffs were mostly students who are studying Japanese or interested in traditional or sub culture. They even performed roles of sound operator and stage hands!
Followings are the program.
1. Yukata Self-dressing Demonstration （Mio, Yoko with Emi） （5min.）
Models demonstrate how to dress yourself in yukata with instruction
2. Yukata Self-dressing challenge（Students: Lizzette, Jayne, Allen）（5min.） American College Students will challenge the Three Minutes Self-dressing！ Yoko & Mio who are professional musical and opera singer will sing a familiar anime-song. Are challengers able to finish dressing before the song ends?
3. Yukata transformation (3 audience volunteers & Yoko, Emi, Allen) (5min.) +Yumiko We’ll pick two females and one male to be models. Yoko, Emi and Allen-san will dress them in yukata. After that, Yumiko (professional hair and make-up artist) will do hair & make-up quickly by the end of the show and introduce “before and after” Hopefully we can take a picture of “Before” and show them on the screen.
4. Introducing Kimono Styles based worn by Anime characters (7min.) It’s not Cosplay, real kimono style that were worn by popular Anime characters. We’ll ask audience what anime use those kimono styles.
5. Kimono NY Style (7min.) Introducing various creative kimono style by models. Cool Couple (Ann & Marcus) Kimono-dress (Camie) Other models 3 models from “Transformation” and compare “before” and “after”.
Producer/Emcee:Emi Kikuchi, Dancer/Singer:Mio Nakanishi & Yoko Yamashita, Sound:Way Tang, Stage Hand/Model: Tony Lee & Anthony Chin, Photographer:Yoko Essel, Hair&make-up:Yumiko Sensui, Kimono Dressing:Emi Kikuchi, Nami Takagi & Yoko Yamashita, Models:Jayne Lee, Lizette Salmeron, Emmet Allen, Alisa Kikuchi, Marika Sorimachi, Natalie Luongo, Roberto Santiago, Miguel Santiago, Miguel Ramirez, Ann Covalt, Marcus, Camie Maniyon, Special Thanks to “Kaede NYC”
Kimono show at Queens Flushing Library in 2013
January 14, 2013
We are back to Queens Flushing Library where we had the first Kimono Show in 2007.This time, we had more than 40 people altogether. The program included Japanese art form such as Classical dance and Kyogen-mai, it became very enjoyable show. Our teamwork was excellent! The ending was with Wedding Kimono. Mr. & Mrs. Kwan who has just married did the model.。
Photo by Yoko Essel
Yukata show at Japan Block Fair in 2013
June 15, 2013
Made 15 minutes Yukata Show for Japan Block Fair in East Village. The PROGRAM was consist of three parts. The first part was an introduction of four yukatas, Emcee explained techniques used and meaning of patterns for each yukata. Second, choreographed movement of Yukata self dressing to the music along with the step by step instruction. Lastly, mini-Yukata fashion show. We had a nice crowds!!
Kimono Show in Sakura Matsuri
at Brooklyn Botanic Garden in 2014
April 26, 2014
Featured in Japan Performing Arts, Inc. presents Kimono Show at Brooklyn Botanic Garden. Producing, script writing, choreograph were by Yuko Hamada. I, Kimono Experience was in charge of consultation, providing Furisode, Hakama and Wedding kimono, teaching yukata self-dressing to collage students, organizing hair-make up staff & kimono dressers and Kimono dressing. Performers and staff are approximately 40 people altogether. Everyone worked hard and had fun to participate!
Photo by Yoko Essel